Sewing Handicrafts for Year 1

screen-captures2 A few weeks ago I posted about our Paper Sloyd Handicrafts (here) and since then we have done more machine sewing for our handicrafts!  I love the technology of being able to grab my phone camera and take video of these first steps in learning!

Sewing

So, around Halloween Christian asked me to make him a Link costume (from the Zelda games) because our babysitter dressed up as Link and Christian thought it was awesome!  I told him that the hat would be a project he could do so we set everything up for his first independent sewing lesson!  I helped him along the way and I am so proud of how he took off and mastered the manipulation of fabric and the machine!  You can see some in this video (and hear my panic as his hands got too close to the needle!)

Vinyl Designs

Another "handicraft" that I am addicted to is making vinyl designs!  I want to pass that on to my kids (I hear that they teach plotting and vinyl cutting in some STEM classes!) and Christian had a blast adding a design to his Link hat!  He plans to create hats with designs as Christmas gifts this year!  We already finished our first hat for one of the cousins!  Watch the process in the video below!  (And I have to say, I love that first reaction when they realize they made something cool!  That light that shines from within is so precious! Being a "Maker" is so much fun!!!)

Cross Stitch

If hand sewing is more your speed, cross stitch sewing projects are great for the beginner!  This is a video of our first time trying it - he was excited just to play with the needle and thread, but we started on the process of learning to make the "x" in the fabric.  For a few links and more information on cross stitch, I created a fun pattern for a cross stitch panel zipper tote on Sewing Mama RaeAnna!
 

Christian is enjoying his first cross stitch activity! Kind of a free for all, but he did make a few "x" marks!

A video posted by RaeAnna Goss (@sewingmamaraeanna) on

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Folk Dance

Burgess Bird Resources

Christmas Around the World - December Term