American History through Music

 One of my projects in the future is to put together a chart of folk songs that can be searched according to time and historical events. I love planning out our own studies for the year. My children have benefited from our singing schedule! In fact, we were out painting pottery the other day and they both started singing "Oh you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union, I'm stickin' to the Union..." and I had to chuckle under my breath that these wonderful folk songs are taking a place in their memory and can be a source of joy for them during quiet tasks like painting!

In my public domain rambles on Archive (dot) org, I stumbled across a reference for "American Almanac" which is a series of records made for children to listen each month of the year! I've embedded each video for you to enjoy! We may listen to some during handicraft time or other down time and enjoy the stories and songs!

January


 

February


 

March



April


 

May


 

June


 

July


 

August


 

September


 

October


 

November 


 

December


 



My project will be to make a list of these folk songs and have it in a handy chart for you to supplement your American history timeline with enjoyable songs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Folk Dance

Burgess Bird Resources

Christmas Around the World - December Term