Windy Old Weather (Fish of the Sea) Folksong

Fullscreen capture 1232017 95521 PM Our folk song this month is another Sea Shanty (Blow the Man Down was earlier this year!)  There is something so catchy about this genre of folk music and if your family is similar to mine, these tunes become major ear worms!!!  My kids sing them all.the.time!  I found several recordings on YouTube that I liked but ended up purchasing a recording of Pete Seeger singing it on the album "Living in the Country."  In the downloadable lesson plan you can print off a page of lyrics to sing along with the Pete Seeger version.  In our Charlotte Mason co-op meeting the kids had a blast creating their own lyrics to a verse.  This song really lends itself easily to composition.  You can prompt the kids with "Up jumped a ____" and then finish the verse however you'd like!  My son (age 7) has been having a blast making up verses at home!  They don't always rhyme and that's ok!  For me, I want him to cultivate those creative juices and have a joyous time singing!!!  This is not a writing composition activity - simply an aural/oral way for kids to be creative!  Here's my son's favorite verse that he made up...."Up jumped an eel with a big shock!  He said 'Skipper, you better watch out or I'll shock you again!"  The verses that our co-op kids came up with were so adorable and I wish I had written them down!  We had dolphins, tuna, and mermaids represented in the song! Download the PDF with lyric sheet here Click here to read more about the history of this particular shanty! And finally, enjoy this short video of a live performance of Pete Seeger singing the song!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Folk Dance

Burgess Bird Resources

Christmas Around the World - December Term