High School Science - Physics

 


I cannot believe that the time has come to start preparing a high school transcript for Christian! In the hours of reading and researching I did for our sciences I have found a beautiful rotation that is working so well for us! If you would like to go back to previous blog posts, we started physics way back in 2021 through the Screen Free Science class! In 2022 we studied chemistry, and last year we had an amazing year of biology. Click the links to read more about the books I used for each of these classes.

This year, we are starting the rotation over with physics and a deep dive into the life of Newton, a wonderful and living text on physics by Walter Lewin, and a series of educational videos by the Crash Course team.

I created a document for anyone to download that includes hyperlinks and a reading schedule for the year! I hope it is helpful to you if the traditional textbook science just doesn't work for your family! I love what Lewin says at the end of his book:

"My goal is to make them love physics and to make them look at the world in a different way, and that is for life! You broaden their horizon, which allows them to ask questions they have never asked before. The point is to unlock the world of physics in such a way that it connects to the genuine interest students have in the world. That’s why I always try to show my students the forests, rather than take them up and down every single tree. That is also what I have tried to do in this book for you. I hope you have enjoyed the journey."

Many people say you cannot study physics until you have had advanced math. In some traditional cases that may be true, however I believe that a full course of study can be appreciated and understood at any level. If you have a science minded student who knows advanced math, let this be a springboard for them and they can download lecture notes and lecture videos from Lewin in his M.I.T. classroom! I've included some of these lectures in the schedule and hope that my students will learn from this amazing professor!

I'm excited to teach this class in community and uploaded a video showing how the schedule will work for our families. Feel free to watch and comment on the video if you have any questions! I am planning several "labs" for our families to complete through the year. Most of the ideas come from high school science teachers on YouTube as well as the Janice VanCleave book mentioned in the document!



If you would like to download the document and use it for your homeschool please visit this link! Just enter your e-mail and the download will be available to you! You can enter "$0" to download for free! If you would like to donate a suggested $10 for the lesson plans you can enter that amount at the download screen or "buy me a coffee" from the link in the document!

Happy studying! Let me know if you use this guide in your homeschool!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Folk Dance

Burgess Bird Resources

Christmas Around the World - December Term