Charlotte Mason Music Thoughts (2)
In my last post "Part 1 - Tonic Sol-fa and Rhythm" I introduced a little bit of the history behind the music education methods that were used to teach children in the PNEU schools by Charlotte Mason and her teachers. Today I want to address the list of songs and melodic training within the schools. My driving question through some of the research and reading I've done is "HOW were these singing and musical skills taught?" I've come to the conclusion that for young students, the music instruction was given by "rote" or by the training in the sol-fa method that sequenced skills in order to sight sing a written melody. Rote singing is simply aural instruction that can be done by echoing phrases until a student has learned the entire passage, and/or continual exposure to the song until mastery is demonstrated in the ability to sing alone and with others. I think this method was probably most prevalent. I'm learning more about what Miss Ma...

Comments
Post a Comment